When we think of spring cleaning, we typically think of deep cleaning the interior and exterior of our homes such as steam-cleaning carpets, cleaning grout, organizing closets, pressure washing the driveway, cleaning up the garden, etc.
While interior and exterior spring cleaning is important, there’s one part of the home many people forget needs a little bit of spring-cleaning attention, too—your plumbing! Many of us don’t think much about our plumbing until we have a noticeable leak or other problem. Here are a few things you can do to tidy up your plumbing and prevent larger issues.
- Check faucets for drips or leaks.
- Check toilets for hidden leaks. Add six drops of food coloring to the toilet tank. If the toilet is leaking, color will appear in the bowl within 30 minutes.
- Ensure that all drains have strainers to prevent hair, soap, and debris from clogging the drain lines.
- Exercise water-supply valves under sinks and toilets to prevent them from sticking.
- Consider replacing a water heater that’s more than 15 years old. (Hint: The first four numbers of the serial number represent the month and year it was made.)
- Pour a gallon of water into infrequently used drains (including floor drains) to fill the trap and prevent odors from entering the house. Slow floor drains should be snaked to help ensure they will carry away water quickly in the event of a flood.
- Check exposed pipes under sinks and in the basement for signs of leaks.
- If your home has a sump pump, make sure it operates properly by pouring a few buckets of water into the sump pit. The pump should quickly turn on, discharge the water, then shut off without any problems.
- Make sure yard drains, gutters, and downspouts are cleaned out, open, and free of debris.
- Check faucets and hose bibs to make sure water flows freely. If an outdoor faucet drips or if there is leakage inside your home the first time the hose is turned on, you may have had a frozen pipe that cracked and needs to be replaced.
I know that some of these steps can seem a bit difficult, especially if you are unfamiliar with your plumbing. But don’t worry. Your friends at Mr. Dan’s Plumbing would like to help. A plumbing inspection will give you peace of mind that your system is running efficiently. Give us a call at 256-835-6244 to schedule one today!